BCL has an established Corporate Social Responsibility programme which is a key part of our business strategy. The aim of the programme is to assist in providing a positive working environment for our staff by helping our local and the wider legal communities.
As a central part of our programme, the firm donates a percentage of its annual turnover to charitable causes. Through these donations we support charities based in, or serving, our local community as well as those who work in the legal sector.
The charities we support are nominated by members of the firm and over the last year have included:
- The Africa Justice Foundation – we have made a commitment to donate annually to support the excellent work done by this charity primarily in Rwanda – http://africajusticefoundation.org;
- The Art Room – http://www.theartroom.org.uk/;
- Aspire – http://www.aspire.org.uk;
- Cancer Research – we donate money annually in lieu of sending Christmas and New Year greetings cards http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/;
- The Childrens’ Charity – http://www.childrenssociety.org.uk;
- CURE International UK – http://uk.cure.org/;
- The Dystonia Society – http://www.dystonia.org.uk/;
- Facing the World – http://facingtheworld.net/;
- Fair Trials International – http://www.fairtrials.org;
- Fine Cell Works – http://www.finecellwork.co.uk;
- Great Ormond Street Hospital – http://www.gosh.nhs.uk;
- Justice – http://justice.org.uk/;
- LCCSA JR Fighting Fund – http://www.lccsa.org.uk/justice-for-sale/donate-to-the-campaign-fund;
- London Legal Support Trust – http://londonlegalsupporttrust.org.uk;
- Lord Edmund-Davies Legal Education Trust – http://www.ledlet.org.uk;
- The Noor Foundation – http://www.noorfoundation.org/;
- Prisoners’ families and friends services – http://www.pffs.org.uk;
- The Variety Club – https://www.variety.org.uk.
The firm also encourages all staff to participate in fundraising and supports those who are taking part in sporting challenges and other charitable activities. We hold annual Macmillan coffee mornings and Comic/Sport Relief bake-offs. Further details of the funds raised and photographs can be found on News & Insights.
Charity of the Year
Each year, the firm has a specific ‘Charity of the Year’. This is a charity nominated by and voted for by all members of staff, to which the firm makes a substantial donation and the staff arrange specific fundraising events throughout the year. In 2018, we will be supporting Evelina’s Children’s Hospital Paediatric Intensive Care Unit’s South Thames Retrieval Service (STRS). The STRS is a paediatric intensive care ambulance service which transfers over 950 critically unwell children and babies to a Paediatric Intensive Care Unit every year. The STRS ambulance is vital in saving children’s lives and in order to transfer critically ill children safely – http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/BCLEvelina
Many of our fee earners participate in projects giving pro bono advice. In particular, we are involved in Amicus (www.amicus-alj.org). Amicus assists lawyers and legal charities in the US who represent those on death row, as well as some individuals who are without representation, in the preparation of cases for appeal against conviction and/or sentence.
We also provide ad hoc pro bono advice
We have increased our re-cycling, introduced low voltage lighting and try to ensure that any old (but functioning) IT equipment is donated to local charities & schools. We also provide second hand legal textbooks to the International Law Book Facility who then distribute them to not for profit organisations in need.
Please monitor News & Insights for updates on the above including further details of fundraising events and pro bono work.