“Astonishing levels of expertise in all criminal and reputational matters,” “they have the most astute and case-appropriate solicitors and partners.”
What can we offer?
BCL’s team of lawyers possess enviable expertise in criminal law, from minor road traffic infringements to serious violent and sexual offences. Our esteemed lawyers have a wealth experience of representing sports professionals from the commencement of any investigation through to the conclusion of the legal/disciplinary proceedings.
BCL’s legal specialists have valued connections with a wide range of clubs, agents, associations, governing bodies and reputable lawyers from other disciplines.
We act for individuals from all sports sectors, including:
- Horse racing
A track record of representing
clients who are:
- Other sports professionals
- Provision of expert legal advice and assistance at interviews under caution and fact-finding
- Strategic preparation of cases from the point of instruction.
- Reputation management, including working closely with PR firms and other professionals,
- Drafting representations to investigatory, disciplinary and prosecuting agencies/
- Communication of legal issues on behalf of clients to agents, fellow sporting professionals,
family and friends.
- Representation at all types of sports and criminal-related hearings.
- Instruction of highly ranked barristers to conduct advocacy and provide specialist advice.
- Working alongside an array of experts, such as medical, forensic, financial and collision
- Quality legal advice and representation for all criminal offences, including:
- Public order
- Firearms and weapons
In 2017, it was reported that football players are more likely to commit a crime than any other type of sports person. When it came to driving offences in sport, footballers accounted for over half of all such crimes at 52%. Of those motoring convictions, 43% of those were committed by football players under the influence of alcohol.
The most common convictions, by sport, were recorded as:
- Football: Driving offences (23%)
- Boxing: Theft/burglary offences (24%)
- Cricket: Fraud offences (38%)
- Darts: Assault offences (83%)
- Motorsport: Drug offences (36%)