“He knows the detail inside out and will work tirelessly on cases”
“… a star of the future”
“…knows his cases inside out. He is detailed, thorough and careful to ensure that no mistakes are made when presenting his clients’ cases. A superb lawyer – charming, charismatic and effective”
The Legal 500
Richard is a partner specialising in corporate crime, regulatory investigations (including ESG compliance) and financial crime.
He has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in relation to the most serious, complex and high-profile contentious matters. He is instructed from the early stages of cases to provide proactive advice regarding crisis management, large internal and external investigations, regulators’ powers, corporate co-operation, interviews under caution, prosecutions and associated proceedings such as inquests.
He advises regarding a broad range of offences, such as corporate manslaughter, gross negligence manslaughter, health and safety, food safety and hygiene (acting for Michelin starred restaurant groups and high street name food businesses), environmental (he advised in relation to the largest ever investigation by the Environment Agency), fire safety and trading. He also advises regarding financial offences such as fraud, bribery, insider dealing (he represented a defendant in the largest and most complex investigation into insider dealing ever conducted by the FCA), market manipulation and money laundering. He is frequently instructed in cases which require technical expertise in overlapping areas of business crime and regulation, for example joint police and Health and Safety Executive investigations and allegations of regulatory breaches combined with financial crime such as food and environmental fraud. The nature of his cases often involves the exercise of regulators’ powers (e.g. dawn raids, compelled document requests and enforcement notices).
Richard’s work encompasses data protection issues, for example advising corporates regarding requests under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations for sensitive materials obtained or generated by regulators during investigations. He has successfully defended complaints to the Information Commissioner’s Office and appeals against decision notices where such materials have been sought by third parties.
His caseload includes matters being investigated and prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency, Food Standards Agency, Local Authorities, Fire and Rescue Authorities, Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, Information Commissioner’s Office and Crown Prosecution Service.
After graduating from the University of Leeds with an LLB (Hons) degree in 2003, Richard completed his Legal Practice Course with a distinction and was awarded the Law Society Prize for the highest mark achieved at the learning institution for the year. He trained and qualified into a leading national firm before moving to an international firm, gaining comprehensive experience in complex, high-value and multi-jurisdictional matters. Richard joined BCL in 2012 and became a partner in 2018.
- The Barrister – ‘Unlawful killing following Maughan’ (April 2021)
- New Food Magazine – “Tesco receives highest ever food safety fine of £7.56 million” (April 2021)
- Compliance Week – “SFO cooperation guidance provides clarity on leniency” (contributor) (August 2019)
- Financier Worldwide – “Perils of self-reporting” (July 2019)
- Euronews – “Self-reporting of corporate wrongdoing should be further encouraged” (July 2019)
- Various – “Food allergen labelling consultation launched following high profile inquest” (February 2019)
- England & Wales chapter of ICLG: Corporate Investigations 2019 (co-author) (January 2019)
- Various – “Regulating autonomous vehicles – New corporate criminal offences” (January 2019)
- Various – “New manslaughter sentencing guideline likely to lead to longer prison sentences” (September 2018)
- Fraud Lawyers Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association
- UKELA (UK Environmental Law Association)
- The Law Society
“…extremely thorough and appreciates the big picture issues…”
The Legal 500
“… has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in criminal and regulatory investigations’…”
The Legal 500